Wednesday 9 August 2017

Review: The Witch's Kiss by Katharine & Elizabeth Corr

So, this book has been on my TBR list for a while, after it was introduced to me by another book blogger. I love me some fairytale adaptations, and well, yet again, the cover of this book drew me in.

Yes, yes, I know, I have a problem with my obsession with pretty book covers, but I don't want to give up this particular obsession, it's gotten me some good books!

Anyways, onto the book:


Merry is an average teenager.
She's also a witch.
She is trying not to be, but she is.

Then Jack comes into her life and she can't help falling under his spell. One problem - he's part of an evil, centuries-old curse that Merry now has to break.

If Merry has lost her heart, will she lose her life too? Or can true love's kiss save the day?

Being a witch is dangerous - but being in love is even worse...

Okay, so, I admit, I haven't read many books that are actually set in the UK, in the current day, so it did take me a little while to get used it it, and connect with the characters like I usually do in a book. (I know, how weird is it that I can connect with other characters but not a modern-day UK character?).

However, as soon as I got to the 'Before' section of the book (the time where the curse in the book originated from) I was hooked. After that, I was fine with the whole modern day thing, in fact, I was more than fine, it made me remember the days when I used to read a lot more modern-day fiction while I was in school, and I loved that this book made me remember that.

As you all may know, I love fairy tale adaptations, and this had me guessing which fairy tale would be used from the very beginning! This book is a lovely little twisted version of Sleeping Beauty, in the fact that instead of the girl being the victim of the sleeping curse, it is the guy (and the weird creepy sorcerer too).

Well, what can I say about this book? It was amazing, and it had a very big twist at the end (I won't spoil it but I'll say I definitely didn't think it would end the way it did), and I know I probably won't even be able to begin to guess what will happen in the next book.

I loved all of the characters, and I loved the family dynamic in this book. Leo was one of my favourite characters, as the protective older brother that sticks with Merry no matter what happens, and it made me want a big brother like Leo in my life. I definitely hope to see more of him in the sequels.

All I can say is that although it took me a bit to get into the book, I am so glad I read it, it's taken me back to my younger years, and I just can't wait to read the next book (the prettiest cover for the second book has literally made me into the heart-eyed emoji). Definitely one I would recommend to younger readers, and people just branching out to the Fantasy YA genre.

I give this book: 4.5 cats!



Have you read this book? Do you agree with my opinions? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment