Sunday 6 August 2017

Review: Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's trilogy) by Ransom Riggs

So, as you may have seen, I reviewed the first book of the Miss Peregrine's trilogy HERE.

It may seem like I'm skipping past the second book (I'm not, I've read all 3 books and I'll be talking about the last 2 here, so if you haven't read them there may be some points here I'll be making which confuse you a bit!)

But here's this book (the third one, you can see the second one on Goodreads HERE)



A boy with extraordinary powers. An army of deadly monsters. An epic battle for the future of peculiardom.

The adventure that began with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and continued in Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls. As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he’s diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They’ll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil’s Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It’s a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all. Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience.


So, I loved this book just as much as I loved the first, and even the second (not that I reviewed the second). The pictures were just as amazing and I think if you've read my other reviews you'll understand why I adored the pictures so much.

I must admit, it wasn't my favourite book of the three (not that I don't love them all), my favourite book had to have been the second in the series (Hollow City) as who couldn't love all of the peculiar animals that were introduced when the children found the Menagerie loop?

This book starts exactly where book two left off, and Jacob has learnt just how powerful his peculiar ability is, in that he can control Hollow's if he concentrates enough. This is one of the main plot lines of this book, as Jacob learns just what his ability can do and how far he can stretch it, and he definitely tests this at different points in the book (with both a positive and negative outcome).

It is in this book though that I found my favourite loop of the series, Devil's Acre. I don't know why I liked the way that Riggs wrote Devil's Acre, as it is a horrid place, but I just loved the imagery that the place gave off. Granted, if I had to choose a loop to live in myself, it definitely wouldn't be Devil's Acre, but I admit it would be an interesting one to visit for a day (as long as you had a guide like Sharon!).

My favourite character in all the books though is Addison, I mean, who wouldn't love a talking dog? And a brave one at that! I adored Addison, you first found him in Hollow City, and he was quirky and funny and I wished I had a dog like him (I may have to find a dog and put some glasses on it to recreate Addison some time).

So, for this book, I give it 4.5 cats (and I also give 4.5 cats to the whole series)


I'm definitely going to miss this series and I can't wait for more when Ransom Riggs finally lets out the new books!

Have you read the series? If so who is your favourite character and what is your favourite book? And what loop would you like to be a part of if you had the chance? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. I only read Miss Peregrine's, and that was a while ago. I remember being super hyped for book 2 but never actually picked it up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you totally should, book two is my favourite, it has peculiar animals!!

      Delete